A current account is a type of banking product that allows holders to make deposits and withdrawals. One of the biggest advantages of a current account is the ability to make payments by cheque. With Indonesia recording one of the highest Internet penetration levels in the Asia Pacific region, it is but natural for banks to take their services online. Today, most banks in Indonesia offer a comprehensive range of banking services and products online. Lets take a look at how you can open a current account online:
Start with the bank’s website
The first step in opening a Current Account online is to visit the bank’s website. Usually a bank’s website will group products into broad heads. You may find current accounts under the head, “Banking” or “Daily Banking” or “Accounts & Deposits” or “Your Accounts” or “Savings Products” or “Consumer Banking” etc. A little search under the different product heads / menus will surely turn up Current Account products. Once you locate the product link for Current Accounts, navigate to it and click on it.
Study the products involved
Many banks offer different types of current accounts. CIMB Niaga, for instance, offers Giro Rupiah and Giro VALAS current accounts, UOB offers UOB Current Account IDR and UOB Current Account-Foreign Currency, DBS Bank offers Maxi Current Account and Current Account Plus. Study the different current account products on offer and choose the one best suited to your requirements.
Start online application
If you wish to apply online, click on the “Apply” button. You will be taken to a form page where you will be required to provide details (these details may vary from bank to bank) about yourself. These details may include your name, contact details and the product you are interested in. Once you provide the required details and submit, each bank may respond differently:
▪ Standard Chartered Bank will provide you with a hotline number to contact them along with a list of branches near you which you can visit to open your account.
▪ HSBC Bank will contact you to schedule an appointment.
▪ With Citibank, a customer service representative will contact you to help you with the account opening process.
▪ The Treasures team from DBS Bank will contact you to schedule an appointment or will help you set up an appointment right away.
▪ With CIMB Niaga, you will have to download the application form, fill it up and submit it at a branch. You may also contact them on their email ID or call them on their customer service number.